Dammit

So we are, rather unexpectedly, going to GenCon. We'd planned on it, then with me not working we figured we'd be frugal (opted out of KublaCon too, which I am still somewhat regretting) and not go this year. And as time went on, of course, it became easier to justify not going... "Oh, we'd never get a hotel room! And flights are expensive!"

Then, of course, R:tAG found out that friends of his have a pull-out couch in their GenCon hotel room. And flights will be less than $250 each. And today was the last day for early registration. So we're going.

So why the title of the post? Well, I got our Con registration done before the noon deadline, no problem, but spent too much time looking at the bewildering choices of LARPs, RPGs and seminars when I was subsequently registering for events. I didn't realize that the deadline for registering for events was the same as for registering for the Con. The Con registration is $10 cheaper when you do it early, the events aren't. May I say, parenthetically, that the registration web page is not particularly well-designed? Anyway, at 12:15, when I had picked all my events, I tried to pay for them only to find that I was 15 minutes too late. Argh.

I don't think this is such a big deal, actually, since one can buy generic tickets at the door and use them to get into any event if there's room. It was more that many of the events I wanted were LARPs, which means, of course, costuming, which means luggage planning. I'd hate to haul the 3 meter tall foam gargoyle wings all the way for nothing.**

But hey, if this is the worst thing that happens to me today, I am Lady Luck's own tot.




** Alas, this is a joke. I don't have 3 meter tall foam gargoyle wings. Yet.

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous said...

    In the immortal words of 'The Prisoner'...

    "Be seeing you". ;)  

  2. Anonymous said...

    Sigh.

    And heavy sigh.

    Someday, some way, I will get to GenCon.

    Sadly, not this year, though. Maybe when the Twins aren't being used for sustenance.

    - cenobyte  

  3. Unknown said...

    Ah yes, the twins... I'm surprised Mary-Kate and Ashley lasted so long. I mean, they're all skin-and-bones, hardly any meat at all.

    Oh... THOSE twins... hehe... nope, no cannibalism here... *sounds of window being broken and footsteps running off into the distance*  

  4. Anonymous said...

    Thank you, r:tag, for not referring to the Twins by their Greek names.  

  5. Amy said...

    Hee hee hee... Scylla and Charybdis? Phobos and Deimos?  

 

Copyright 2006| Blogger Templates by GeckoandFly modified and converted to Blogger Beta by Blogcrowds.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.